Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Things to come...

I have been working on our master bedroom the last few days. Yes, I'm redecorating it. Again. I will explain why. Some of you know my parents' beach house was destroyed by Hurricane Ike. Down to the cement. Last spring it was built again and the fun part was decorating and painting! My parents live in the Beaumont area, and my mom enjoys coming to Houston to shop. When she's not able to make it, I scour the stores in our area for all things coastal. (Marshall's is our favorite) Well, after buying a few seagulls, starfish, and coral, I started getting a little jealous. I want to decorate something cute and coastal...(in a whiny and pouty voice)

Here is the plan...
So far, I've completed the furniture and I can't wait to show you! I am working on decorations and the back wall. I am doing everything very lost cost and hopefully will be able to blog about the handmade items and DIY furniture. If you have any questions about ANY of the projects I post, please write me. This first piece is a DIY word art. I had an old fence board and broke it down to about 18 inches. I lightly and roughly painted the surface. Then sanded. (I've never loved sand paper as much as I have in the last few weeks) I like using a very heavy-duty paper. This was 100. For finer sanding on my furniture, I used 220. Then I took some foam stamps I had and dipped them in different acrylic paint. Took some old letters and stenciled the word BEACH. WAVES and SURF are handwritten. Then sanded some more until I got it just right. My sweet husband actually asked me where I got it until he noticed the stamps were familiar.
The best part? It cost me nothing!!!



Stay tuned for more pictures and how-to's!
Kerrie
Posted by Picasa


Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

6 comments:

  1. What a great sign!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Can't wait to see more [especially the amazing wall :)].

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and clever! Excellent job and it looks like a vintage sign that's been at the coast for decades. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turned out really cute! Can't wait to see the rest of your stuff! Thanks for linking up to Flaunt it Friday again, glad you got it to work all by yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete